Friday, March 1, 2013

Two Gifts


I don't regret it
That is to say I do but 
for my life's two gifts

And though I give all
I won't give them up ever
and so am stuck here

Second is ok.
I give them first whole-hearted
and without regret

...but I do regret
and those become midnight toils
questions unanswered

If I called the cops...
If I wasn't so afraid...
If I was stronger...

It should be enough
to know that I DID protect
to know they won't know

Memories are torture
I barricaded my doors
bed pans in the room

"It's just a game, see?
We can't let him in the room.
Just wait for quiet."

"Hear say" it was called
It only happened one time
(afraid to say more...)

And so it repeats
what I couldn't say in court
again in my head

Not in words that shy
But unexpected floods
of sharp images

Not when I expect
But from nowhere -everywhere
It is happening

Three peaceful years went
He was treating them better
with half custody

I suppressed/blacked out
(many are gone forever)
-our... my memories

I left.  I have them.
They make all bad into good
And I did change it

I did it for them
They don't remember his deeds
but I am haunted 

No comments:

Post a Comment